Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New Thing #296: Time Passages

I had something lined up for today, and after it fell through because I had to work late, I found out that it wasn't as new to me as I thought it was. So I let it go, and decided to turn to my list for a new suggestion. I ended up picking one from memory, and I can't find it on the main suggestion page, which means the commenter left it on another post somewhere, and I can't remember where! Whoever you are, thanks! I wrote a time capsule letter and sent it to a friend. Having been on the receiving end of one of these, and having had to hold onto it for seven years before I could open it, I can tell you that they are tempting but VERY satisfying if you manage to hold out for the indicated time period. I'm giving this one ten years. Friend who's getting it also reads this blog, so I won't give away the contents. I will say that I went into detail about what each of us is up to right NOW and that I do spill at least one juicy secret. I'm pretty confident that I'll still be friends with this person in ten years, so finding me won't be hard for the person. Understanding me might, but only because by then human handwriting will have been replaced by robot code and four-dimensional colors.

3 comments:

Sam said...

What an intriguing idea! I am not certain that I could hang on to a letter that long without opening it! As it is, if I get an early Christmas/birthday present - I have to open it as soon as I possibly can!

Not to mention that I would probably lose the letter before the time came up - where did you keep your seven-year letter?

Anonymous said...

What a cool thing to do. I have a great friend that is the sister of my heart and I think she and I will do this. We started as friends about 15 years ago, before our 12 year old daughters were born and now they are too friends. Maybe we will do a mother/daughter time capsule letter. What fun!

I have so enjoyed reading your blogs daily and admire the fact that you are more than willing to try anything! Keep it up.

Jessica Denise said...

This is pretty cool. You can do the same to yourself through email on FutureMe.org. I wrote myself a letter back in October, I think, to be sent to myself. . . some time in 2010 or 2012 or some time in the future that seems so far right now. haha. I don't remember what I wrote, or exactly when I'm supposed to get it, but it'll be a great surprise!