Sunday, January 20, 2008

New Thing #301: Giant pain in the butt

I know very little about sports, so I wasn't as excited as some of my friends as we watched post Giants' game hype on several tvs in a restaurant we went to after an improv show. But I did have fun suggesting possible headlines for the Post: Bowl Tyne, Super Goal and my lame favorite, One Giant Step. I mused that it would be hilarious to call the Post and suggest one of these. Having worked at newspapers and magazines for more than ten years, I know full well that night deskers don't have time for nor interest in taking suggestions from readers. So I called the Post and suggested a headline. Surprisingly, I got hold of a human being almost immediately. Then I suggested One Giant Step, and, not surprisingly, he hung up on me almost immediately. I think this is because not only do reporters and editors really dislike such input from readers, especially at the 11th hour, but also because I made myself sound like some ridiculous drunk chick. And nobody likes it when ridiculous drunk chicks tell them how to do their jobs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay this one really made me laugh this morning!! Thanks!!!

Meg D said...

I just read about you in cosmo! Congrats on getting so close! You are very inspiring.