Tuesday, January 22, 2008

New Thing #303: Well done!

This is small but significant, and anybody who lives in a big city will understand why. Today I walked into a deli and said "I'll have the usual." I felt like an idiot for a tiny fraction of a second-what if the short-order cook had absolutely no idea what I was talking about?- but the guy nodded, then turned around and started making me a cheeseburger deluxe with fries. Thanks, hubris! Nowhere else in New York where I've worked or lived have I ever felt comfortable walking into a place and saying that. But somehow I knew that the guys at the deli buffet place would know to make me a medium-well burger with pickles. Stuff like that makes chilly New York days seem a little warmer.

5 comments:

Lauriel said...

I like it! Do you have a running list of how many people are now doing new things everyday and claim that you inspired them? If not you should look at the links on my page...we are getting a decent list goin.

Anonymous said...

You brighten my day. It will be sad to see your blog end. Everyone should take a year and do what you have done. I think there is a great life lesson here. Stop, enjoy, try something new and don't be afraid. You are my hero!

Anonymous said...

...that is awesome :)

Maddy said...

I've never been brave enough to do it! Go, Jen!

Anonymous said...

Can your next new thing be walking into a deli that you've never been to and ordering "the usual?" heh.