Thursday, January 24, 2008

New Thing #305: Callousless


Starting somewhere around third grade, I started to develop this funky callous on my left hand. I'm not left handed and I wasn't playing hard-core rock music at that point, so that's weird, right? What's weirder is that I got it as the result of a nervous habit- I would bunch up the skin on the side of my middle finger by squeezing it with my thumb and forefinger. For at least the rest of elementary school, I would aggravate it whenever I was nervous or upset. I think it lessened after that, but the damage was done and I had this sort of permanent rough spot on my hand. Then just a few months ago I started back in on it. So it had to go. Today I started a treatment to get rid of the callous. I asked my doctor about freezing it off, but since it's so wide and doesn't really have a definite base (like a wart), that won't work. So I'm going the old-school Dr. Scholl's route. If the slow doses of acid don't eat my entire hand off, I'll be back to a baby-smooth, pre-anxiety hand in no time.

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

Good luck! Hope it heals quickly!