Friday, January 25, 2008

New Thing #306: She Move Good, I Guess

I love dance movies. I own Center Stage, Bring it On, Camp and an untold number of musicals. But somehow I've been missing out on that gritty urban dance-off genre. So tonight I saw How She Move, a gritty urban dance-off movie. The plot is standard: smart girl who doesn't fit in goes (back) to urban high school where she must prove her smarts by...stompin' (contrary to one moviegoing companion's prediction, the movie was actually not about a paralyzed girl who mystifies doctors by shaking a leg, nor a young lady changing apartments). Forget the test she has to take to get a scholarship to get back into the private school she had to leave, forget the dead sister, forget the overprotective parents, the real meat of this plot lies in smart girl's ability to dance so hard on top of a car that she blows out the windows with sheer baditude. There's girl-girl rivalry, teenage rebellion, unexpected friendship, betrayal and a little bit of romance. I'm pretty sure that seeing this gritty urban dance-off movie is the same as seeing all gritty urban dance-off movies, but that may or may not prevent me from filling our DVD player with titles like Stomp the Yard, Save the Last Dance and Breakin' II: Electric Boogaloo.

2 comments:

spike. said...

Breakin' 2 ... the film debut of Ice-T. Just throwin' that out there ....

Stacia said...

First, Breakin' II is an amazing movie. That's the movie we went to for my 13th birthday. And Stomp the Yard is sooooo worth it (lot's of built guys with no shirts). My sister's a dancer, so I've seen most of the dance movies. Love your blog, love the idea behind it. Life in your thirties rocks!