Sunday, January 27, 2008

New Thing #308: Rat a to me

One of the most celebrated movies this year was the Disney Pixar wonder Ratatouille, the heartwarming tale of an inept chef and his pet rat. I saw it right after Christmas on my flight home from California, and realized that a plane is perhaps the worst place to see a movie about food. So disappointing were my cheese plate and bag of broken pretzels that I sat doubled up in my seat the entire time, craving saffron risotto and even a steaming bowl of ratatouille, whatever that was. Earlier today, Kevin and I found ourselves at a place that actually served it. So, sight unseen and with only an animated movie as a resource for what i was getting myself into, I ate ratatouille. It is super delicious! We were at a vaguely French restaurant, so I'm guessing it was somewhat authentic. It's basically a brothless vegetable stew, with a yummy tomato base and handfuls of delicious seasoning. But this being New York and all, I am still not convinced that it wasn't made by an actual rat.

4 comments:

Priscilla said...

I've always wanted to try it too!

Claire said...

Cool! What a great idea!

Jen S. said...

How fun!

Tallulah said...

I've made Ratatouille before! I believe the key ingredient is supposed to be eggplant. Nonetheless, it is good stuff.