Tuesday, January 29, 2008

New Thing #310: What is Crazy?

It's already too late for those of you on the East Coast, but if anybody on the West Coast happens to read this before 8pm PST and wants to do what I just did, I think there's still time. I took the Jeopardy! online contestant test. This was about six hundred times harder than the Who Wants to be a Millionaire test I took in 2006, after which I just about walked onto the show and won several thousand dollars. Yeah, no, tonight's test was timed per question, which makes the taker start hyperventilating at :06 and struggling to reach into the inner recesses of her brain just to come up with the name "Aaron Burr," which probably isn't the right answer, but leaving a blank is so pathetic that you feel like an ass not writing something. The sadly ironic thing is that the one question I did leave blank was the answer to a question I got right on Millionaire, mostly because I was SO excited to see the question that I of course drew a complete blank and just sat staring at the screen for 15 seconds, nearly soiling myself.
So the good news is that I won't have to take time off work to go to L.A. to tape the show, and won't have to suffer through another round of "well, ya obviously didn't do so well, if you're still working here" and won't feel super defensive when faced with people who smugly bring up my televised loss in conversation (even though they couldn't even pass the test).
So yes- if you, like me, are apparently constantly seeking ways to compound your already crippling anxiety, go for it!

3 comments:

Claire said...

Yikes - I hate timer-games... I feel the pressure!

Shellster said...

Ah, you should at least try out for, "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?" That would be a hoot!

Maddy said...

I took it too! It was so nerve-wracking that I forgot to read the category of the question for like the first dozen. It got better as I went on but I don't think they will be calling me anytime soon.