Saturday, February 9, 2008

New Thing #321: Let them (not) eat Cake(y)


A couple of days ago I talked about how inspired I am by my filmmaker friends, and to day I got to watch some of them in action. Improvisers Kirk and Dyna have for several years been teaming up with filmmaker Bill to create these wonderfully creative, thoughtful short tv show episodes for outlets like Channel 102 and Super Deluxe. My favorites have been My Wife the Ghost and Cakey! The Cake From Outer Space. The latter is still in production and today I appeared in a scene in Cakey.
The premise was that the eponymous cake brings to life several literary characters right there in Duncan's bedroom. Some stuff happens then we have a dance party. We were all dressed in costumes of sort of a vague literary-historical persuasion, and most of us could have been representing more than one genre or era (Dyna, for instance, could have been either Christopher Columbus, or one of those non gender-dependent Shakespearean characters that often has to be played by a girl in public school theaters). I wore my wench costume, and decided I was either some sort of pirate concubine, or a very pale Aldonza from Don Quixote.
There was also a gorilla.

4 comments:

Tony Powell said...

The weird thing is last night I dreamed I was on the crew of a movie production . . . Are you sure you weren't Beatrice from "The Divine Comedy"? Because that's the movie we were shooting.

Bet said...

Cakey is about the cutest thing I've ever seen. I want to eat his whole, well, his whole cake.

Kathleen said...

Didn't I see Cakey in Avenue Q?!

Kathleen said...

Didn't I see Cakey in Avenue Q?!