Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New Thing #324: Moment for the woods

Ever since I moved to New York in the summer of 2001, I've been getting hit up on a semi regular basis by People With Clipboards. Sometimes they want you to save babies, sometimes they want you to buy comedy club tickets, and sometimes they want you to sign a petition granting Smurfs legal emancipation. New York is a crazy place. But more often than not, the clipboard holders want me to "take a moment for Greenpeace." I've become almost an expert at avoiding them, simply because I don't like the soliciation part. I'm all for saving the enbironment, but let it be on my own terms, man. Despite my almost militant refusal to take a moment for anything associated with clipboard people, today in the East Village I took a moment for Greenpeace. And I didn't say yes just because in nearly seven years of avoiding these people, I've pretty much run out of excuses. I said yes because in nearly seven years of avoiding these people, I've pretty much run out of excuses, and because I find it hypocritical to complain about a government that currently doesn't do much the environment if I'm not doing something myself. I am now a semi-reluctant recipient of monthly emails and updates on the baby polar bear I appear to have symbolically adopted, as well as a tax-deducting contributor to stop companies from ripping down forests all willy-nilly in the name of making Kleenex.

2 comments:

Marilyn Monro said...

you inspire me.



www.myunstablemind.blogspot.com

Marilyn Monro said...

you inspire me

www.myunstablemind.blogspot.com