Wednesday, February 27, 2008

New Thing #339: I got it

This is something I've been meaning to do forever, but whenever the opportunity arises, I've always either forgotten or lost my nerve. So today while buying pants at Express, I gave my phone number as 867-5309. I claim special ownership to this number because while I'm pretty sure nobody ever felt compelled to write anything about me on a bathroom wall, I am a Jenny. You'll notice that if you simply say the numbers verbatim, the song doesn't immediately come to mind. So when the cashier asked for my phone number, I had the flash of brilliance I'd been waiting for and instead of giving an old work number, said "sure... 646? 867? 53? 09." My apologies to anyone who might actually have that number, but come on, I bet a nice lady from Express is the least threatening person who's ever called you.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

my dad had that number as his direct office line when he was asst principal at a HS and he had calls daily asking for Jenny...I am also a Jenn so my dad would say "sorry she's a school" after like 5 years he couldnt take it so he got his number changed...to 867-5384 which i sang often so i could remember the number.

Luxy said...

If you add a 401 area code before that number you get Gem Plumbing in Rhode Island. I don't know why, but they specifically requested that number and have worked it into their jingle. (By the way... I'm a Jen too)

Erika said...

That also used to be a phone number for a dorm room on Penn State's campus. I would hate to be a Jenny placed in that room!

Anonymous said...

Some years ago, my friend's dad's fax machine had that number, and he had to change it 'cuz people kept trying to call it and tying up the line, and he couldn't get his faxes. :-D

Maddy said...

It wasn't a dorm room it was an off campus number at penn state. It was called frequently from the dorms to be sure. (By me on lots of occasions.)

(all dorm numbers started 862 at least when I was there)