Tuesday, March 4, 2008

New Thing #345: Cane I sit there?


As klutzy as I tend to be, I have somehow gone through life without ever breaking a bone, requiring stitches, dislocating something or spraining anything. Today I commuted with a cane and an ankle brace, just to see what it was like. For one thing, it's slower. It took almost twice as long to walk from my office to the subway after work, which meant I got to bask in the relatively warm air and enjoy all the pretty closed stores and disoriented tourists on 34th street. For another thing, MAN are New Yorkers nice when they think you're injured! They hold doors, give up seats on the subway, get out of the way faster and try less hard to hit you with cars. I even got sympathy stares! The last time I got sympathy from a stranger on public transportation was when the crazy homeless guy on the train pointed me out as the only other person who needed a sandwich as badly as he did.

No comments: