Sunday, March 9, 2008

New Thing #350: Jersey Girl


The first time I spent a significant amount of time on the East Coast, I was amazed at being able to travel through several states in one day. When you live in coastal California, you don't just hop into Arizona for lunch, and if you have to drive to Oregon, it takes at least a day and you don't just zip back home that same night. I still couldn't wrap my head around the concept when I was living in Jersey City and working in New York. And until today, all of my multi-state sojurns had involved cars, planes or trains, so I walked from New York to New Jersey via the George Washington Bridge. I pretty much just did it so I could say "I'm going to walk to New Jersey now. Bye!" which I did about seven times before leaving the house. I live just a few blocks from the GWB, so I was literally able to walk out of my apartment, down the street, and into New Jersey. It was incredibly windy today, so I was nervous about taking photos, removing my gloves or standing too close to the guard rails. I turned around pretty much as soon as I got to the end of the bridge, but not before a dingy sign welcomed me to The Garden State and a bridge guard gave me a dirty look for taking pictures. Ah, Jersey!

2 comments:

tryin2getskinny said...

I will be 29 two days after you turn 30...and I'm ready to start my new-a-days :) You've inspired so many people to try new things...and soon I will be one of them. I'll be copying a few, but for the most part I've tried to think of my own.
Thanks for sharing all of your experiences!

Tallulah said...

This seems more dangerous than shooting a gun. Afterall, more people probably die after getting hit by a car, than after getting shot.