Monday, March 10, 2008

New Thing #351: Foxfire

One of my favorite things about the past year has been the opportunity to do stuff that scares me. Today I fired a rifle. I am terrified of guns, so to do this took a ton of resolve (and a fair bit of putting it out of my mind until the second I got to the gun range). Before boss Amy and I could get our hands on anything lethal, we had to take a short gun safety course, during which we learned to load and unload the gun, to work the safety and the latch, and how to load a magazine. I was worried I'd totally lose my nerve the second I got into the booth, but once I fired the first shot, there was really nothing to it. I was even a little good at it! The target was so far back I didn't think I was hitting it, but when I pulled it back in, there were totally holes in it! The snappy little .22 they gave me had very little kickback and was easier to handle than I thought. I don't think I want to do this every day, and I can still say I never plan to own a gun, but it's always nice to have a new skill.
Me in safety gear, pre-gun

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are definitely very intimidating in the safety equipment. You go girl!

Annie said...

Wow. I'm horrified of guns (I've held one. Once.) and I have a friend who is trying to convince me to let him take me to a range, just to get over the fear. I'm always thiiiiiiis close to going. And then chicken out last second.

Glad you could do it!

Bet said...

Oh, man! I hate guns, am terrified of guns - and I've ALWAYS wanted to shoot a gun. I'm envious.