Monday, March 17, 2008

New Thing #358: Sax Machine

I feel most empowered when I do things that scare me. Mostly because nothing is ever as bad as my imagination wants me to think it is. Such was the case when I played saxophone on a subway platform. I almost always enjoy street musicians at least a little bit, because most of the people who do it in New York are actually good. Some aren't, but that's what headphones and feet are for. I am definitely one of the "some that aren't," so I was nervous about subjecting innocent A-train riders to my squawks and sounds of imitation flatulence. Kevin and I stayed on the platform for almost an hour, much of which was spent getting great shots, some of which was spent with me pushing myself to the point of aneurysm just to get a few terrible notes. And it was so. much. fun. A few people willingly sat or stood close to us, perhaps hoping to hear some brilliance from a rare female saxophone player, but they weren't rude or indignant when they didn't get it. I did get one nickel in my case. I put it there.

Photos by Kevin Danenberg

5 comments:

lisa365 said...

Fabulous! And those are great photos :-)

Anonymous said...

You look like you know what you are doing and have been playing foreever. You go girl!

kikimaja said...

Thats awesome! I want to play the sax so badly!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice photos! And I love reading your blog every day. Thanks for the inspiration and entertainment!

Mica said...

You look so soulful and jazzy! I am totally impressed!