Tuesday, August 12, 2008

NEW new thing #12: Case Study


One of my all-time favorite books, not just from childhood, but from ever, is From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. It's a wonderful, odd story about two kids who run away to live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I re-read it last fall, after I got stuck trying to recall some of the details. It starts with tween Claudia's elaborate plan to get herself and her brother out of Greenwich and into the city, part of which involves leaving on music day so they can stuff their instrument cases with clothes. Inspired by their clever scheme, I packed my violin case with clothes and went to the Met. I drew the line at hiding in the bathrooms long enough for security to leave, and I definitely didn't start sleeping in the big blue bed or taking baths in the fountain. That's for tomorrow.

3 comments:

Colette said...

I loved that book as a kid. Now I want to re-read it. :)

Meg said...

I'm impressed you did that. I loved that book as a kid, like Colette, and am very impressed with you. Also, good job not sleeping on the blue bed...it would probably have gotten you arrested.

mooskietx said...

I read that book while I was working out at the Gold's gyms in College Station.