Friday, August 15, 2008

NEW new thing #15: Puppy Love

Hanging out with small dogs is endlessly entertaining. I have dog-sat several times for a dachshund named Blue, and lately have been hanging out with Chihuahua Luca. Since Blue tends to be a bit of a loner, preferring quick dashes to the curb and short, frantic walks through Riverside park, I've never taken it upon myself to try to socialize him Besides, he's not mine. But Luca loves to share the love, so I went into a dog run. I always pass by them to gaze longingly at other people's puppies, but have never had cause to actually go into one. It's like spastic, four-legged kindergarten, with all the exploratory friend-making, digging in the sand and nervous parent types trying to prove that their kid is the best behaved. I'm proud to say that Luca was very well-behaved, and that the incident with the Boston terrier probably wasn't his doing.

2 comments:

Kathy G said...

I've always wanted to do this too! However, living in suburbia there isn't a big need for dog runs, so there aren't any close by me.

Meg said...

I love taking my dog to dog parks in my area. And you're right, Luca probably didn't do it. That Boston has a certain look about him/her...