Thursday, March 5, 2009

NT 10/31: Nobody nose

I've had a cold for almost a week now, and while the General Ick phase is basically over, my throat is clearer and I've stopped sounding so much like Kathleen Turner, the congestion has stubbornly taken up residence in my head. I described this and other lovely illness-related details to friend Amanda, and she mentioned her favorite method of nasal relief, something I'd never really heard of. So I flushed out my nasal passages using a Neti Pot. As I was reading the instructions to KMD before I tried it, I realized that it sounded vaguely like torture: you stick the long part of a plastic teapot up your nose, then pour the contents (warm water mixed with medicated powder) from that side to the other. I imagined much stinging and sputtering, and thought I'd stop if it got too uncomfortable. But really, it feels no worse than getting water up your nose while swimming. It hurt a lot less than the time I snarfed milk through my nose, and had much more medicinal merit.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Why do you have Mayonaise in your bathroom? or is that what the neti pot is in?

Mr. Nordmann said...

I use something made by the same company and is much easier to use. It is more like a squirt bottle, so instead of contorting you only have to lean forward. It works like a charm and works for congestion due to allergies as well.

Val said...

Are you going for product placement money or something? Haagen Daaz, Converse and Hellman's have been prominent so far!! Even if you use mayo in your hair you have to keep it refrigerated!!

skycastles said...

A friend of mine also mentioned Neti Pot to me, but when she described it I thought it was just too horrific a process to do. It didn't look too bad when you did it. Might try it the next time I'm sick.

Sinusitis Sufferer said...

The neti pot saved me too. But I found out it doesn't even have to be slightly uncomfortable like you described. This guy has a really nice blog on neti pots and describes how to make the solution so it doesn't sting at all.
http://matthewcox.org