Saturday, March 14, 2009

NT 20/31: Jokers to the right, here I am


Growing up in San Diego, I always had this fascination with flat states, Midwestern towns and general non-coastal American Middleness. I remember hearing about the town of Centreville, Ohio and being curious about the people, the look and the strange mystique about a place whose name basically meant "right smack in the middle of a bunch of other stuff." And though it's not in the middle of America, or quite as centrally located as its name suggests, I went to Downtown Middletown. There are Middletowns in Missouri, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Rhode Island, Virginia, Delaware, Connecticut, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, California, Kentucky, Michigan, Vermont and Indiana. And I'm not going to tell you which one I went to. KMD and I remarked, while standing on Main Street in Downtown Middletown, that we really could have been anywhere in America, and the scenery here could have passed for almost any of those states.

No comments: