Thursday, March 19, 2009

NT 24/31: Astaire Case

I love movie musicals. I love the songs, the spontaneous dancing and the talent, especially the dance talent. I can sing, but I've always been a clunky dancer. But I've noticed that inanimate objects don't really care about that. So because of that, and also as a tribute to those musicals I love, I danced with my hat rack. I wouldn't even pretend to do this the way Fred Astaire did it. And I don't just mean the astounding dancing. I mean the keeping the hat rack in tact, not annoying his downstairs neighbors, not having to worry about tripping over fallen pegs, having music that's loud enough— nitpicky stuff like that. I should mention that I try to keep all the media in this blog, especially videos, as raw as possible to make sure the Newness is authentic. I don't edit the videos, and I don't do more than one take unless something distracting happened during the first one, like I fell off the windowsill, or the dog started attacking my shoe. Both of those actually happened. This video certainly isn't free of mistakes, but it is one of the funnest New Thing videos I've ever had the pleasure of making. Enjoy!

video

(oh, and about the foot pads.... don't buy them. The pads were green and grungy when I took them off the next day, but this apparently is the result of metals in the pads that are designed to do that, and not from any poison exorcism that the pads claim to perform.)

3 comments:

skycastles said...

Ditto on the love of musicals, though I prefer Gene Kelly myself. Great job on your dance.

Got 2 Trot Librarian said...

This is my favorite New Thing so far!

fuzzandfuzzlet said...

The clunking sounds of falling pegs was too funny!