Sunday, March 1, 2009

NT 6/31: Domo arigato


I'm not much of a cook, but I'm getting better. A couple of weeks ago, I made these killer vegetarian tacos and Spanish rice. The next week I burned a bagel. Baby steps. But tonight I found a new culinary skill, and discovered one more thing I actually like making, that doesn't make cooking seem like much of a chore. I made sushi! We unearthed an old sushi mat, and the rest was as easy as hunting down some nori paper in a health food store, modifying a standard rice recipe to make it sticky, and choosing simple ingredients (radish, carrot and salmon). It turned out really well, and we rounded out the meal with some terriyaki chicken and bowls of norki maki and edamame. But I do not think I'm turning Japanese. Not that I wouldn't like to someday.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I love this new thing. I might have to try it sometime. Sushi is one of my favorites!

Kathy G said...

How do you make regular rice sticky?