Wednesday, December 15, 2010

New, bad and awesome

Hi friends!
The Stuff I'm Bad At portion of this blog is set to kick off very soon, but first I wanted to fill in some of the New Things blanks that I left this year. There's a doozy that my nearest and dearest already know about, but here's some of the other awesome stuff I did in the later parts of the year:

July: Sat on a jury. Despite the horrible timing (I was starting an in-house freelance gig the same day the trial started), I actually really enjoyed this. I grew up in a house full of The Law, so I actually understand how the justice system works (or how it should), and I've never tried to get out of jury duty by pretending to be racist, or crazy, or by singing softly to an invisible sheep. The only thing that really kind of sucked was that I was an alternate, meaning I got to hear the entire case, but at the end didn't get to deliberate. But it did give me great courtroom insight, as well as the right to huff and mutter "oh please..." every time I watch Law & Order.

October: Saw (or at least tried to see) the Village Halloween Parade. I'm not a big parade-goer, and tend to avoid crowds the way other people avoid dairy or lepers. But since I was able to adjust my Robert Palmer Girl costume to be a cold-weather getup (just tie the red ribbon around a black jacket, keep the slicked back hair and scarily stark makeup and bam! Simply irresistible), I decided to give it a go. The friends I went with and I were stuck a good four layers of people behind the barriers on 6th Ave, and we totally missed the baritone army that we'd come to see in the first place. We instead kept ourselves entertained by ogling all the fabulous costumes, underdressed undergrads and negligent parents that lined the streets.
Inside, with Snookie, and not at a parade.

November: Saw the Radio City Christmas Show. Like, REALLY saw it. I was front row center, thanks to a friend's Rockette friend who was able to score sweet free second-night tickets. The dancing! The songs! The confetti! The smelling-distance of camels! This is quite a spectacular show, and after having seen the goopy tv ads for nine years, it was nice to finally see the thing for real in all its bombastic glory.

Also November: Saw a Gilbert and Sullivan opera. Earlier this year, I had a fun, crazy little principal role in Fiddler on the Roof with the Village Light Opera. Primarily a Gilbert & Sullivan company, VLOG produces one Broadway-type show and one G&S operetta every year. I skipped the audition for Iolanthe, but still got to delight in several friends tripping hither and thither as purple faeries whose exploits charmingly upset British parliament. Ah, politics!

December: Visited a brand-new baby in the hospital. With all the newbies shooting out of practically every woman I know this year, baby W, son of friend A, was the first I've had the opportunity to meet right away. It's a moment you want to savor forever- the velvety head, the tiny hands, the half-dozen nurses standing by to make sure you don't hold him wrong or scare him or sneeze on him. It took about ten seconds for me to fall madly in love with this little bundle of awesome.

No comments: