Friday, May 4, 2012

In the New YORK #6: MAD Woman

If Broadway is my favorite cultural thing about New York, museums are a close second, if not tied for first. I've hit many of them here, but not nearly enough of them. Last Sunday, husband and I went to the Museum of Art and Design. Located conveniently and inconspicuously at Columbus Circle, it's 5ish floors of modern design, each floor with a different theme. We started out on Necklace Floor, where we caught a glimpse of jewelry made out of oddities like gun triggers, safety pins, ceramic and pig intestine. From there we saw the Dirt floor, with a ballroom made of dust, a "dirts of New York" mosaic and a dude made of mud; Glass floor with innovative blown designs including a collection of wine glasses that each had the ashes of a burned book in the stem; and a floor whose theme I can't remember but which was decorated with flocks of creepily realistic birds among other things. I highly recommend this quiet, uncrowded little oasis (though the "uncrowded" part is a little bittersweet. Fill this awesome place up, people!) as a MoMA companion, or perhaps as an alternative on crazy days. Go MAD!


Mud man. He had a dog. The dog is not in this picture.


 Mud man. He had a dog. The dog is not in this picture.


2 comments:

TagAlongTravel said...

This sounds like a very cool museum. I've been to NYC a number of times and always looking for something new to do when I travel there. This is now on my list. Thanks!

TagAlongTravel said...

This sounds like a very cool museum. I've been to NYC a number of times and always looking for something new to do when I travel there. This is now on my list. Thanks!